Monday, April 27, 2020

Webinar on When to Disobey the Government

Note that I'm not endorsing everything that will be said on Friday, especially since in their email promo said that the men hold different positions. But the NCFIC has been holding weekly webinars on things like dying and death, the priority of public worship, etc. This week's is on when to disobey the government.
I am glad to see Mister Beers on the list. He is very like-minded, and his congregation continues to worship as ours has.

To me, it's not complex, though it may at times be difficult. I obey the government because Christ requires it. So, when I disobey the government it will be because Christ requires it.

But we live in a culture (even a church culture) where so few make real conscience to be careful about what Christ requires. In that context, most are not asking "When must I disobey the government." Rather, they ask, "When does Christ permit me to disobey the government." This is a different question from an opposite starting point, even if we get the same answer in the end.

It's analogous to those who come to the fourth commandment and ask not "what does Jesus tell me to do on His day," but rather "what does Jesus allow me to do on His day." Ultimately, the latter question is a matter of self-indulgence and has broken the commandment just in being asked.

There is much more to be said, but these webinars have been good, and I'm looking forward to this one.

2 comments:

  1. So thankful for you, and for God's amazing grace and His gifts in you! -- Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means so much to me, dad! I haven't yet had a chance to view the webinar, but I've been told that Mr. Beers represented the biblical position well.

      There are also a couple things in the hopper to publish, but I'm behind on prep for tomorrow and have a Session meeting gumming up Monday. You're such an encouragement to me, and one of my greatest earthly blessings! Anyone who profits from reading what I write is being blessed through you as well. What a good God we belong to and serve!

      Delete